Saturday 24 March 2012

Felt leaf mobile

(Goblin is 29 months)
I have been a bit of a slacker when it comes to decorating Goblin's season tree. I managed to put up some valentine hearts but haven't got round to anything for spring. So this weekend I made some felt leaf mobiles to hang on the branches. 
I made some felt using lots of different green wool roving I had - If you have never felted before its really easy, I did a beginners tutorial here (I am still a beginner but I have pretty much mastered felt squares). On one of the pieces I added some cut offs from the hair of the first Waldorf doll I made (it was such beautiful wool I couldn't resist keeping it - I'm such a craft horder).
I made some leaf templates and cut out the felt leaves. 
I took embroidery thread, tied a knot in the bottom and did a running stitch through the first leaf. Then left a space of about an inch and a half and tied another knot to keep the second leaf in place, before sewing running stitch through a second leaf, and repeating with the third.
I managed to get six strings out of my two sheets of felt. I hung them on Goblin's tree and when he came down from his nap he said "Oooh wow, leaf, tree" - I'm thinking that is a good response.

I'm sharing this with
Ladybird LnPhotobucketSerenity youPhotobucketPhotobucketOne Artsy MamaFun Stuff FridaysfunfrugalmommyBWS tips button

12 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I've been wanting to have something hanging for Q-ball to look at. But, even this might be too much sewing for me- maybe glue will work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Seriously the only sewing is folding a leaf into a concertina and pushing a needle through, I'm sure you'd cope :)

      Delete
  2. That turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - the textures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lovely comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a seasons tree that the monster and I could do together. This is so cute! Thanks for stopping by The NY Melrose Family. I host a weekly link party on Wednesdays and I'd love it if you linked this up at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-4.html. We go live at Tuesday night at 8 EST. I'm following!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea!! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this turned out- and I've been wanting to try felting so I might have to give your tutorial a look too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute activity. My daughter would like a tree like this. Thanks for sharing on fun frugal friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how wonderful. We are slowly adding spring decorations to my daughter's tree as well. I love your leaves. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sweet
    thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday.
    hope to see you there again tomorrow

    Natasha xx

    serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I have decided to turn off comments on the blog as I am being inundated with spam. I do this with sadness as I love genuine comments from readers. If you would like to leave a comment please email me at TamingtheGoblin@gmail.com or visit the TamingtheGoblin FaceBook page (you can access it through the FB icon in the top right corner of the blog homepage).
Thank you for taking the time to read the blog.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...