Sunday 22 April 2012

Goblin's First Venn diagram

(Goblin is 30 months)
The other day Goblin was playing with his plastic animals and I started talking to him about where they lived, some live in the water and some on the land. My conversation stemmed from a great post I saw ages ago on LivingMontessoriNow which was a round up of various people's units on land, air and water. I decided to avoid talking about animals that lived in the air because no animals actually live in the air. Many spend a lot of time in the air but they all come down to earth to sleep. I also thought that a 2 option conversation was simpler for my 2 and a half year old. But then I realised that there were a bunch of animals that spent a lot of time both in the water and on the land. Should I say these were land animals or water animals?
This question stuck with me, and I realised it was a great learning opportunity. So while Goblin was napping I drew him his first Venn diagram. Green is for land, Blue is for water and the yellow middle is where the two over lap.  Our conversation suddenly covered biology/zoology and maths.
I selected a group of animals that Goblin could easily identify (yes this now includes a sea cucumber - its amazing what kids absorb) and that would fit into one of the three categories.
Goblin seemed to enjoy this extension to our earlier conversation. Although he did think it was highly amusing to put land animals in the water and make me do the voices of the drowning creatures - "Help! I'm a giraffe, I live on the land, I know I have a really long neck but this water is too deep, rescue meeeeeee!"
And here is our final diagram with animals in their right places. 

I'm sharing this with 
Classified: MomTeach Me Tuesday at Preschool Powol Packets
Tot SchoolMontessori Monday



7 comments:

  1. What a great way to introduce a Venn Diagram! I use them all the time for my older kids, but never thought to include my littles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a sorting activity to use with my class! Ooh, I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I used to use Venn Diagrams with my fourth grade students...thanks for sharig this idea on how to use them with the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, now I have used it once I can imagine I am going to be finding loads of new things that can be categorized in this way

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great activity! i get the shakes when i hear venn diagrams as i was shocking at maths lol! But this is so creative and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! What a creative way to introduce a Venn diagram! Thanks so much for sharing the link to my post, and thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Venn Diagrams, and making it 3-D is brilliant! I'm going to share this on my PreschoolPowolPackets Facebook page tonight! I'm so glad you shared it at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete

I have decided to turn off comments on the blog as I am being inundated with spam. I do this with sadness as I love genuine comments from readers. If you would like to leave a comment please email me at TamingtheGoblin@gmail.com or visit the TamingtheGoblin FaceBook page (you can access it through the FB icon in the top right corner of the blog homepage).
Thank you for taking the time to read the blog.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...