Saturday 26 May 2012

Montessori Mobile


Friends of mine are expecting a baby soon. I thought I'd make them a mobile. I'd seen Gobbi Mobiles when Goblin was a baby and thought they were lovely, but pricey. But I read a basic tutorial on Art Club Blog about how to make felt balls, and decided I could do a DIY job. 
The Gobbi mobile is part of the Montessori Visual Mobile series. You can read more about the series at  At Home with Montessori who describe the Gobbi as "The third mobile in the Visual Mobile Series, the Gobbi Mobile is a set of small spheres in graded shades of one colour. This mobile is presented to infants between 7 and 10 weeks old. It represents a further step in the development of the child's visual sense, in which she can now perceive more subtle variations in colour. The mobile is named for Gianna Gobbi, an Assistant to Infancy trained by Maria Montessori." 
The balls are normally in a straight line, but I used a bit of artistic licence to hang them in a spiral. When the mobile spins it will look like they are moving up and down.


I'm linking this to

PhotobucketLadybird LnSerenity you Montessori Monday 

Tuesday Tots

13 comments:

  1. You did a great job ~ it is lovely, baby will enjoy gazing up at it :-) A few of my friends are expecting at the moment and I got some supplies to make a mobile yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh can't wait to see yours. Great minds!

      Delete
  2. I love this! I have also wanted to make felted balls for the longest time and you may have just pushed me over the edge:) I think the idea of using them in a baby mobile is just perfect! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I couldn't believe how quick and easy they were once I got going.

      Delete
  3. This is lush, Im so going to have to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SUPER cool! I've always wanted to know how to do that with felt! I love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this! I often see felt-making stalls set up at local festivals, now I'll be making a beeline for the next one I see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad we don't live closer bc you could teach me felting. It's on my to-do list of things to learn. I want to make felted animals since my daughter loves animals, but I think felted balls would be an easy thing to start with and I love this idea for a baby gift.

    I am going to be pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned your post to my Babies - Activities and Ideas board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/babies-activities-and-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's so darling! and i love the different shades of blue! i bet baby will love it. thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful!! I love it! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just gorgeous,what a lucky baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had some visitors to my blog coming from here, so thanks very much for the link! These look great, and I really love the photo you took with the flowers. The colours are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I have decided to turn off comments on the blog as I am being inundated with spam. I do this with sadness as I love genuine comments from readers. If you would like to leave a comment please email me at TamingtheGoblin@gmail.com or visit the TamingtheGoblin FaceBook page (you can access it through the FB icon in the top right corner of the blog homepage).
Thank you for taking the time to read the blog.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...